Kyo Bom Certification Program
A World Moo Duk Kwan Initiative
The Kyo Bom Program is an exciting expansion of the World Moo Duk Kwan® Instructor Certification Program. The intent of the program is to support the growth and development of Sa Dan candidates who are not pursuing Sa Bom certification but still carry the responsibility to effectively communicate the curriculum of Soo Bahk Do®.
All Sa Dan candidates will be required to test for Kyo Bom if they are not testing for Sa Bom as part of their Sa Dan candidacy. At least twelve months prior to testing for the rank of Sa Dan, candidates should obtain their Kyo Bom Certification Study Kit in order to go through the process of learning Moo Do methods related to Soo Bahk Do® instruction. During the Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa, candidates will be given the opportunity to demonstrate the instructional skills they have developed. The Kyo Bom program will be available beginning in 2019.
There are two types of Kyo Bom certification. (1) Kyo Bom must have completed Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa certifications prior to the announcement of the Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa results and will be able to submit Gup/Dan rank recommendations. (2) Associate Kyo Bom are not required to have Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa certifications and are not eligible to submit Gup/Dan rank recommendations.
Meaning & History
- Kyo Bom is a term that has its composition familiar to the membership. “Kyo” is translated as “Teach”, and “Bom” is translated as “Law or Pattern”.
- In Korea during the 1940s, when there were a smaller number of Dan members, the term Kyo Bom was used to refer to senior members with teaching responsibilities.
- As the art expanded globally and the number of Dan and Ko Dan Ja members increased, the use of Kyo Bom fell out of common practice.
- The intent of this program is to connect with our History and reintroduce the term Kyo Bom to support the growth and development of Sa Dan candidates. Especially due to the increasing number of Youth Leaders that are reaching Sa Dan eligibility before the current Sa Bom certification age requirement of 25 years old.
- The foundation for Kyo Bom certification currently exists within the specialized training that all Sa Dan candidates currently participate in today by producing teaching videos, instruction from Kwan Jang Nim, WMDK TAC, National TAC and Senior Leaders on principles of advanced teaching, reviewing specialized teaching content in the Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa Workbooks and by actual instruction during the Ko Dan Ja testing week.
- Associate Kyo Bom - Kyo Bom who have NOT previously achieved Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa certification. These members are high-level practitioners who represent the art of Soo Bahk Do® in accordance with Moo Duk Kwan® standards and expectations of an individual practitioner and who can successfully teach and convey the art to students in individual classes. They may sit on Gup Testing boards and can administer examinations at the Yu Gup Ja level under the supervised direction of a Sa Bom.
- Kyo Bom - Kyo Bom who have achieved Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa certification. They have all of the qualities of both Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa, but have also proven to be a high-level practitioner (Ko Dan Ja). With a higher level of personal understanding and ability to perform, these members can successfully mentor both Yu Gup Ja and Yu Dan Ja members. Additionally, they can independently administer examinations and submit promotion recommendations at the Gup and Dan levels.
Instructor Certification Progression and Pricing
TABLE 1 of 2
( Click Table Image For Order Form)
TABLE 2 of 2
( Click Table Image For Order Form)
Instructor Certification Curriculum Revisions
- The Kyo Bom Program integrates into WMDK instructor certification curriculums as specified in the 2019 edition Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa, Kyo Bom and Sa Bom Instructor Certification Study Kits.
- To support the overall instructor certification progression, the Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa and Sa Bom certification kits have been revised. The revised certification study kits and the new Kyo Bom Certification Study Kit, reflect the natural progression of an instructor’s development with more advanced content at each level.
- All Sa Dan candidates will be required to simultaneously test for Associate Kyo Bom or Kyo Bom, if not applying for Sa Bom certification when testing.
- Kyo Sa members who test for Sa Dan will have the option to follow the general track and achieve the title of Kyo Bom and Sa Dan, while still retaining the certification rights of Kyo Sa or choosing to fulfill the additional requirements to attain Sa Bom.
- Sam Dan and Ko Dan Ja members who are not Kyo Sa certified, must complete the Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa certification study kits before being eligible to test for Sa Bom.
- Similar to the current instructor certification process, Kyo Bom Certification Study Kits must be acquired 1 year before a target exam date.
- Sa Bom certification is still an option for Sa Dan candidates that meet the minimum age requirement (25 years) and other prerequisites. Members that wish to take the exam for Sa Bom certification at the same time as their Sa Dan examination are still required to complete the Jo Kyo and Kyo Sa certification processes.
Kyo Bom Certification for Current Ko Dan Ja Members
- Current Ko Dan Ja members who are not certified instructors will be provided a special opportunity to acquire the Kyo Bom Certification Study Kit at a 50% discounted price for 90 days after the inception of the Kyo Bom program. The study kit fee will increase to regular price after 90 days without exception. Current Ko Dan Ja members applying for Kyo Bom must meet the same requirements as new Kyo Bom certification applicants and provide proof of an active Background Check and Continuing Education subscription on the Soo Bahk Do® Institute and completion of a successful background check.
- 2018 Ko Dan Ja Candidates who provide proof of an active Background Check and Continuing Education subscription on the Soo Bahk Do® Institute and completion of a successful background check will have an opportunity to apply for Kyo Bom while continuing to complete their 2018 Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa process during the first half of 2019. TAC will provide special dispensation for the Kyo Bom time and apprenticeship requirements for this group.
( Click Table Image For Order Form)
Transfers And Special Circumstances
For transfers from outside the Federation and/or members with special circumstances the TAC may conduct a placement assessment of instructor certification applicants during which past life experience, demonstrated technical skill, teaching abilities, Soo Bahk Do® Institute use abilities, general technology skills and other relevant factors will be evaluated. TAC will then advise Kwan Jang Nim of the outcome of the applicant’s placement assessment and based on his counsel the TAC will then notify the instructor certification applicant to apply for Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa, Associate Kyo Bom, Kyo Bom or Sa Bom.
Certified Instructors, Background Checks and Continuing Education
- The U.S. Federation’s Board Chair announcement about the rationale and motivation for the new Background Check and Continuing Education policies can be read here.
- A recording of the national Growth Teleconference where the Board Chair responded to questions from participants about Background Checks is available here.
- Effective January 1, 2019 in the USA, Kyo Bom certification applicants and all other instructor certification applicants 18 years or older plus currently certified instructors seeking to renew their Jo, Kyo, Kyo Sa, Kyo Bom or Sa Bom certification (and school certifications) are required to subscribe to the Background Checks and Continuing Education subscription on the Soo Bahk Do® Institute and complete a successful background check. Read Board Chair instructions here.
- Subscribe here. Members may use the member discount code 404040 on the Soo Bahk Do® Institute during checkout to lower the price of the annual subscription by 40% to $45.
- Upon successful completion of a Background Check and the initial Child Safety Training, members can post their names on the Background Check Approved page to be publicly recognized for exemplary commitment to professionalism as a Moo Duk Kwan® certified Instructor of the Soo Bahk Do® martial art system.
School Owner guidance
- The TAC has published a new “How To Train An Instructor” guidebook to support School Owners in:
- Effectively preparing future applicants for Kyo Bom Certification and to support understanding about how the program will roll out and be sustained.
- Efficiently transitioning to the updated curriculum in each of the 2019 edition Instructor Certification Study Kits.
- Educating current and future Certified Instructor apprentices about Background Checks and Continuing Education policies, implications and compliance.
- The guidebook provides specific instructions about how to effectively train instructor certification apprentices for a successful certification exam as well as other useful information. Access
- School Owners also need to become familiar with the curriculum for Kyo Bom Certification applicants as well as the updated curriculums for Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa and Sa Bom certification. School owners are encouraged to download each of the 2019 edition Instructor Certification Study Kit curriculums and review them thoroughly. Downloads available here.
- School Owners need to advise members already in possession of instructor certification study kits to download the updated curriculum for the study kit that they possess and refer to it as they complete their apprenticeship in preparation for their exam.
- School Owners and instructor certification applicants may post questions or requests for clarifications about Kyo Bom Certification here.
- Questions about Background Checks and Continuing Education may be posted on the Background Checks FAQ page here.
Study Kit Acquisition
- The TAC has updated all Instructor Certification Study Kits effective 2019 and members who currently possess a Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa or Sa Bom Certification Study Kit, need to download the electronic versions of the updated 2019 edition contents for your respective study kit and then follow the updated curriculum and apprenticeship requirements as you prepare for your exam.
- Kyo Bom Certification Study Kits and 2019 Edition Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa and Sa Bom Certification Study Kit contents can be downloaded and/or ordered here.
Kyo Bom Implementation Timeframe
- The Kyo Bom Certification Study Kit and revised Jo Kyo, Kyo Sa and Sa Bom certification study kits will be available by the end of January 2019.
- Note: Kyo Bom Study Kits need to be ordered early in 2019 to ensure enough time to complete the study kit and apprenticeship prior to the Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa and background checks also need to be completed promptly.
- TAC will provide special dispensation for the 12-month apprenticeship requirement for the first group of applicants due to availability timing for the Kyo Bom Certification Study Kit in 2019.
- Kyo Bom Certification is accessible to members invited as 2019 Ko Dan Ja Shim Sa candidates and who can provide proof of an active Background Check and Continuing Education subscription on the Soo Bahk Do® Institute and completion of a successful background check.
Current Ko Dan Ja members who are not yet certified instructors are qualified to receive special TAC dispensation of the 12-month apprenticeship requirement by acquiring a Kyo Bom Certification Study Kit during the limited time offer and successfully completing the certification process by the end of June 2019 and providing proof of an active Background Check and Continuing Education subscription on the Soo Bahk Do® Institute and completion of a successful background check.
This special group of Kyo Bom applicants will also have the unique opportunity to be the very first members presented with Kyo Bom certification by Kwan Jang Nim at the 2019 U.S. National Festival in Portland, Oregon from July 25th – 27th, 2019.
This will be a historic event:
LOGIN TO CONTINUE READING.
If you are an existing user, please log in. New users may register below.